Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day (Yay!) & A Spidery Freebie

Well I made it through Week 2.  Barely!  At my school our Kindergarten enrollment was down slightly, so this week we had to collapse a class.  I got five, count 'em FIVE, new students on Wednesday, putting me at 25 students.  I had 24 last year, so it wasn't a huge shock, but starting with 20 was so nice and so much more conducive to the learning that needs to occur.  <sigh>  But I guess the people who really need to know and understand that aren't paying attention.

So what did we do?  More procedures and practice, practice, practice!  We practiced tracing our names.  I use the FREE worksheet generator found HERE.  We made a Cheerio necklace (fine motor and snack time rolled into one!)  We sorted bears by color and apples by size.  And we sang and moved A LOT.  (Did I mention that of my 25 students 17 are BOYS?!-- yes, we'll be moving a lot all year!)

Some of my favorite music/movement CD's are below.


They especially love the song "Who Let the Letters Out"-- 
we sing it after we review our Zoophonics sounds!

There are tons of fantastic songs on this one : "The Body Rock,"  "Animal Action,"  "The Freeze".....
I keep this one at the ready at all times for a quick movement break when the wiggles set in!

We sing the Good Morning song and The Number Rock every morning.  This one also has "Popcorn" and "The World Is A Rainbow."  I've been using this CD every day since my first year teaching Kindergarten 12 years ago!

One of my goals for this year is to put all of my classroom music on an ipod so I don't have to dig through my pile of CDs looking for a song!  (Or deal with scratched CDs!)  I have a Donors Choose project going for the ipod.  We'll see if it gets funded!  If not.....I might just spring for one just to save my sanity!

Ok, I promised you a freebie, so here it is!  I know it's only September, but October is just around the corner and this one is just perfect for a sight word review and to go along with a Spider unit. This will be free until Spetember 15, so grab it now! 

If you download, please leave a comment and join my site!  I'd love to know what you think!  :)



Have a great SHORT week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment