Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Positive Discipline Plan

So..... let's just say I've had a need to put a Positive Discipline Plan in place for a student who really struggles with rules and authority.  So far, it has made a difference.   Basically, since he needs more reminders than average, my regular classroom system was not working for him.  He knew he would not succeed in following the rules all day so he really didn't even try.  The whole day with him felt like a GIGANTIC wad of negativity...........so we had to try something different.

How it works:  Each morning I write his name on the board and under it I draw 5 stars.  He gets a warning, but if he breaks a rule, he comes up and erases a star.  Having him be the one to erase the stars shows him 1) that I trust him and 2) that keeping/erasing the stars is in HIS POWER! 

If he has any stars left at the end of the day, he gets the class reward.  I usually give out stickers at the end of the day and prize box on Friday.

I have also included a communication sheet because his mom likes to get something in writing each day so she can follow through at home.  So far, it's working and the whole room feels more positive.

How do you deal with challenging students?  Please leave a comment-- I'd love to hear your ideas!

Cheers~



No comments:

Post a Comment